Creative Writing Workshops
Years 4, 5 & Year 6 Creative Writing
1 day workshops at our Examberry Ealing Centre
Maximum of 10 students per class
10am – 4pm
The aim of the workshop is to enhance writing skills in preparation for the 11+ and the challenging London independent school exams.
We will write using frameworks so that the children have a clear idea of expectations of how to write at the top level at this age.
Children will also be given creative writing resources to take home, plus a suggested list of story ideas so that they can then continue to write at this level after the course.
Parents will receive assessments of the child’s writing after the course.
During the course of the day we will be looking at:
- How we structure and present our work
- Different characters and settings – how we describe them when we write
- Using exciting openers to enhance our writing and draw the reader in
- Using conjunctions to extend our sentences and make them more sophisticated
- Using all punctuation and particularly focusing on the use of colons and semi colons
- Using figurative language to bring our story to life including: simile, metaphor, alliteration, hyperbole, onomatopoeia and personification
- Using colour to make our descriptions more vivid
- Using tension to entertain the reader – remember what you don’t see can be far scarier than what you do see
- Planning and checking writing
Timetable and Sign Up Form
To sign up for our Creative Writing Workshop please complete the form below. We will call you to confirm your place and answer any queries that you may still have within 2 working days.
Fees for the Creative Writing Workshop are £295. Existing Examberry students pay £195.
*Cancellations are subject to a charge of £40 per booking if this occurs within 7 days of the course starting. A £20 cancellation fee will be applied otherwise.
Term Dates 2019 – 2020
Mon 9th Sep 19 – Sun 2oth Oct 19 (6 weeks)
Half term holidays (Mon 21st Oct – Sun 27th Oct)
NO Classes on Mon 21st, Tue 22nd, Wed 23rd, Thu 24th, Fri 25th, Sat 26th, Sun 27th
Mon 28th Oct 19 – Sun 15th Dec 19 (7 weeks)
Mon 6th Jan 20 – Sun 16th Feb 20 (6 weeks)
Half term holiday (Mon 17th Feb – Sun 23rd Feb)
NO Classes on Mon 17th, Tue 18th, Wed 19th, Thu 20th, Fri 21st, Sat 22nd, Sun 23rd
Mon 24th Feb 20 – Sun 5th Apr 20 (6 weeks)
Mon 20th April 20 – Sun 24th May 20 (5 weeks)
Half term holidays (Mon 25th May – Sun 31st May)
NO Classes on Mon 25th, Tue 26th, Wed 27th, Thu 28th, Fri 29th, Sat 30th, Sun 31st
Mon 1st Jun 20 – Sun 19th Jul 20 (7 weeks)
- St Andrews Church Centre, Mount Park Road, EALING W5 2RS
- Heston Community School, 91 Heston Rd, HOUNSLOW TW5 0QR
- Kingston Quaker Centre, Fairfield East, KINGSTON Upon Thames KT1 2PT
- The Malden Centre (Mefas entrance), Blagdon Rd, NEW MALDEN KT3 4TA
- East Berkshire College, Langley Road Entrance , Langley Campus Sports Centre, SLOUGH Berkshire SL3 8BY